Saturday, October 02, 2004

In response to a profile on one of those online social boards, I wrote a guy with ADD that I was fed up with the acronyms ADD/ADHD so I had thought up a new acronym. I am IMBG: Invested with Madness By the Gods. It comes back to that idea about how ancient cultures treated the mad as holy, but also how historically the innovative and creative were often seen as mad. So with both ideas in mind, I ask, what is so wrong with being mad? Its better than being qualified by some soulless psychological term applied to those who think differently than others.
Now on lobby watch, I reflect on my new acronym and this quotation or axiom I picked up somewhere, "Whoever the Gods love, They also destroy." No idea where I got it, or if it is right. (I'm using Gods here very metaphorically here, of course. Least in the sense that the Gods reflect upon human purpose.) So if madness is holy, it could be considered a gift from the Gods, one which is a tough challenging endowment in which certainty and stasis hold no sway. Just because I like to drown this in profundity, I'm even going to call it the proverbial "gauntlet of fire," one that only a madman would pass though to find purpose.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home