Friday, October 17, 2003

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace in a continual state of alarm (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing them with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
- H.L. Mencken

I've been toiling at this damn essay to respond to the recall and its ramifications on my personal political beliefs since two days after Arnold of the Many White Teeth was elected by a considerable majority. I have come to the conclusion that there in no way on Odin's Green Midgard, that I will be able to finish it in one entry. So, I will be entering portions as I sculpt my words, and then when I am done, I will probably assemble it into one document that I will polish into a full essay.

I've set the date for my move, I am a half week and one month away. I feel ideas and attitudes that I have bundled away in fear of losing my paternal patronage emerging and I haven't even left town yet. Half my books are gone, with a small percentage sold to stores and to a good friend, and the rest now have a good home at the Haight branch of the San Francisco Public Library. Strange days are coming. As Jim the Elder said, quoting the old Chinese curse(blessing,) "May you live in interesting times."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home