Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Sunday was lost to a blockbuster sinus migraine that I had to sleep off. Now, of course, I can't sleep.
Today I find out what my new work schedule is. Maybe the reason I am fascinated by paradox is how aware I am of being subject to them. I'm frightened of the change to my life brought on my this new job and by the money I will save for my independence, but I am soothed by the idea I will have a regular schedule to reinstate my need for a clockwork structure. I'm always asking myself what makes humans so different from other lifeforms. I've tossed out the old faithfuls like speech and toolworking, because there are examples of them in other species. Maybe it is paradox. Well not, specifically paradox, but the awareness of paradox. It's like being a kid, when you were made aware of the necessity of breathing, and you nearly pass out when you forget to breathe because you've become aware of it. I think it's time to brush off the book with the essay by Henri Bergson. He says that comedy is a result of our awareness of the awkwardness of trying to enforce the mechanical on the natural. The US army invaded Grenada using an out-dated gas station map as one of their main sources of geographic intelligence. Think about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home