Saturday, July 09, 2005

This is my single communication this weekend, right here on my blog, as this is the longest block of time I have where I have to be totally silent, since I know I am not doing a full vow, considering how much talking I've had to do at work. This experiment has taught a secondary hypothesis: When doing a long-term experiment, use vacation days. It's oddly funny to me how I have to design shorter experiments to balance with time at work, when so much of my life has been humongous blocks of free time, due to the economic leechery from the father. The irony is that I wouldn't be in the right space to do these experiments when I had all the time, because I didn't need to do them when I was not responsible for my life. Anyway, so I have denied myself any comforts from earlier this week, like two hours of TV or blogging, or whatnot, to make up for the fiasco of night three, when I spoke three times, without thinking. And on the most inane things: responding to a farewell, asking if the cats were in the bathroom, and asking are there still cats in the bathroom. (Okay, since it involves, the Great Felini, the Houdini of cats, the last two could be said to be quasi-valid.) But the idea of considering these experiments is working out, I've already came up with three possibles, including a couple hours in a sensory deprivation tank, (unsurprisingly, this being Seattle, there is a place with two of them for hourly rent just 25 blocks from here. And people ask why I never considered living in Iowa?)
Questions have been levied at me since I started this, left unanswered, by those who wonder why I'm doing this. They will be even happier when I can talk, and they find out I have no real idea why I am doing this. I just wondered what it would be like to be quiet. I didn't expect any great profundities to come of this, I was just curious. Anything interesting learned from this experience, is a bonus.
If there is a deeper theme to this as my first larger experiment, is that I'm trying to discover new ways to broaden my field of perception, physical or meta-wise. The odd bit is I really can't do all this, totally humanistic, because as the Sufis say, You can't look at the flame of a candle, without being blinded by the light of God. Is that You? Are you listening? But then, makes sense, since I'm learning that my rejection of authority was so psychically violent, that I was rejecting God forthright, as anything but some nebulous source of cosmic motion. Personally, when I die and I actually end up in Heaven, I'll probably still ask God what is so special about Him.

Old Story goes like this...

A farmer, good man and honest neighbor, was a zealous atheist. He went about his day, in the fields, for year upon year, thinking over and over, "There is no Vishnu. There is no Vishnu." Then when death came upon this man, he was shocked to find himself in the paradise of an afterlife, standing before Vishnu. The farmer asked, "How can I be here, I never believed in You!" And Vishnu replied, "Well, you were thinking of me all the time, weren't you?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home