Tuesday, September 09, 2003

Yesterday, I was walking the perimeter of the building I guard, and I was in the alley street, setting my building behind a row of much larger buildings. I looked up, and above the buildings, these low-flying gauzy clouds were passing at an amazing speed. It's nothing unusual, since it happens often around this time of year and it's just a marine layer phenomena. But for some reason, watching the clouds stream by just caught my eye. When I was still in university, celebrating my golden ten-year jubilee as a professional college student, I took a fascinating class focusing on the comparative studies of humanism and mysticism. I learned a main definition of mysticism as focusing on the ineffable experiences, and how they are expressed as best they can by those who experience them. I snorted at that, I recall. I had a big problem with anything being ineffable. Course, I'm a humanist, so I was being snooty toward mysticism. Have to acknowledge that. Now, with a head ful of Zen, I realize that it's not that you have ineffable experiences, you have experiences that are bet left undescribed. It's the power of instinct and emotion, that are stripped of meaning when you try to encapsulate them in language. How do you capture now when it has passed?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home