Thursday, September 04, 2003

Well, I've let five days go between entries.. I don't want this to be another of my passionate projects that I lose interest and wander away. My closet is full of half-done projects. I know that I am in a limbo-like state, with two and a half months until I move, but this doesn't excuse working toward living beyond just work, sleep, and television.

Anyway, I must get the house in order. I have to face one of the hardest challenges, deciding what to do with all my books. I know I can't take them all, but I can barely ponder selling even the unwanted books stacked in the back corner of my closet. I've spent years collecting these books, and many hold powerful memories, intellectual accomplishments, or both. Do I keep the Terry Pratchett and get rid of the Alan Dean Foster? Do I sell or donate my Victorian works, and hold onto my Roman history? I know that I am grasping at my collection as a physical representation, when I should let go, but I doubt I will be able to seperate myself from half of them. When I make it (and not if, but when,) I hope to have a huge library. There will come a day that I will have to let go of what my books mean to me, but I don't think that has to mean I have to let go of all my books. Plus, you couldn't have my Lovecraftian horror until you tear each book from my cold dead hand.


"My pen is my harp and my lyre, my library is my garden and my orchard." Judah Halevi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home