Sunday, August 03, 2003

Just in from a twelve and a half hour day. If it hadn't been for my bad toe, I doubt I'd be so cranky about it. The overtime is fifteen an hour. I'm actually amazed by how well I handled the pain of my foot and my right shoulder. Before, I would have called in to get myself replaced, but I took the pain and did the whole half-day of work. I make no compunctions about the fact that I am a wuss. A big fat wuss, in fact. I hate pain.. any pain. I think it's easier to wuss out when you know you have the room to wuss. Now, I don't. I have a concrete goal, with time constraints, and I'm challenging myself to transcend my wussness. But, I still don't like any pain.

Couple of quotes to tide my entry over until I hopefully write more tommorrow:

"The only real difference between Christians and Jews is that Christians observe the crucifixion and Jews observe the circumcision. In circumcision, you just merely cut the tip of the penis off. In crucifixion, you throw the whole Jew away." - Introduction to When the Cat's Away by Kinky Friedman

"All things are unique in regard to their irrepeatable time and place in the sun. Whereas money can be replaced, you can't, as Cratylus says, step in the same river once. Like the sun that we recognize by the way it continiuously squanders energy, societies and individuals reveal themselves by their waste - the wasted energy of festivals, dance, and laughter. The real manifestation of wealth requires engaging human passions in art, eroticism, revolution, war = moments when the future vanishes like smoke. The solar economy foregrounds these sumptious activities that have no economic use value, activities that don't figure into the calculations of mainstream economics. Infinitely larger that the restricted economy which it encompasses, solar economics include all human activity and all life under the sun." From "Solar Economics" in The Arch Conspirator by Len Bracken

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home