Friday, February 25, 2005

"If you are not thoroughly appalled, you are not paying attention."
- Bumper Sticker

And from this morning's New York Times comes this gem of pure chutzpah said by Dubya at the shared press conference with Russian President Vladimir V. Putin in Bratislava, Slovakia:
"Democracies have certain things in common - a rule of law and protection of minorities and a free press and a viable political opposition."
For America, he did get one of those right... I mean the rich are quantitatively a minority. Technically.
Now what truly amazes me is the political computer of the Russian Cza.. errr.. I mean the Russian President. The truly erudite at the Times are so good, they summed up Putin's response delivery with one word. "tartly." Personally, I'd be delivering my response from the base of the podium as I rolled around, held my side, and cried from laughter. But Putin is a rational human being, or the passing proximity of one thereof, and he did have to say a thing or two about American Democracy.
"The Russian President also said that the American Electoral College was in essence a 'secret ballot' and pointedly noted, "It is not considered undemocratic, is it?"
When you get zinged by ex-KGB... no, I don't really want to know what that says.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home